Frequently asked questions

Master's degree courses

Master's degrees admission

Financial Aid

Integrated programs of undergraduate and master


Master's degree courses

  • What is the difference between a master's degree and professional master's degree?

    Master's degree Continuig education master's degree
    Focus Advanced specialised or multidisciplinary training designed to hone students' research and professional skills and qualifying them to pursue doctoral studies. Career-oriented. Aimed at professional development.
    Admission Under current Spanish law (Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October) candidates meeting any of the following requirements may apply for admission to a master's degree course:

    1. Candidates who hold an official Spanish university degree or any other official university degree issued by a higher education institution in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that qualifies the holder to pursue master's-level training in the issuing country.

    2. University graduates of systems other than those of the EHEA may be admitted without the need to homologate their qualifications subject to verification by the University that said qualifications offer a level of training equivalent to the corresponding official Spanish university degree and qualify the holder to pursue master's-level training in the issuing country. Admission by this means shall not, under any circumstances, entail the homologation of the qualification of the interested party or its recognition for any purpose other than to enrol in the master's degree course.
    Candidates who hold a bachelor's degree from another EHEA-member country.

    University graduates from countries that do not belong to the EHEA through the legalisation of their degree.

    Professionals who do not hold a university qualification but meet the specific admission requirements for the course in question. In such cases, a certificate of overcoming the program will be issued.
    Structure Compulsory subjects, optional subjects, master's thesis. Modular: The system allows students to take the different parts of master's degree course separately so that they can accommodate their specific needs and schedules.
    Type of credits ECTS: One academic year (two semesters) is equivalent to 60 ECTS credits.
    1 ECTS credit = 25–30 hours of work.
    ECTS: One academic year (two semesters) is equivalent to 60 ECTS credits.
    1 credit = 25 class hours of work.
    Duration 60–120 ECTS credits (one or two academic years). One year (two years in exceptional cases).
    Workload Full-time. Part-time (compatible with professional life).
    Delivery Face-to-face. Face-to-face, blended or distance learning.
    Faculty Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya teaching and research staff. Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya teaching and research staff and working professionals.
    Fees Public fees. The cost is subsidised. Students pay the full cost.
  • What is an ECTS credit?

    ECTS stands for European Credit Transfer System, the standard adopted by all universities in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) to ensure the homogeneity and quality of the courses they offer.

    Under the current model, a credit is equal to 10 class hours, whereas an ECTS credit takes into account, in addition to actual class time, all the other activities carried out during a student's learning process (studying, assignments, practical work, etc.).

  • What is a master's degree course?

    It is a course providing advanced training geared towards academic or professional specialisation and introducing students to research. Upon completion of the course, students are awarded a master's degree qualification.
    Master's degree courses consist of between 60 and 120 credits and lasts between 1 and 2 years.

  • What is the minimum number of students required for a master's degree course to be taught?

    According to the criteria set forth by the Interuniversity Council of Catalonia, at least 20 students must have enrolled by the end of the enrolment period for a master's degree course to be taught. If this number is not reached, there is no guarantee that the course will be offered. If a master's degree course is cancelled for this reason, the enrolment fee will be refunded and the affected students will be offered places in other master's degree courses.

  • In which languages are the master's degree courses taught?

     You can find this information in the master's degree course profile. More information about the use of Spanish, Catalan and English at our university.

  • How long does a master's degree course last?

    One academic year (two semesters spanning the period from September to July) is equivalent to 60 ECTS credits, which is the maximum number of credits a full-time student can complete per year.

    A master's degree course has a study load of between 60 and 120 ECTS credits. Therefore, a full-time student will need between one and two academic years to complete the course, depending on the specific course and his or her academic background.

  • How much does a master's degree course cost?

    The fee for a master's degree course, like any other official university course, is determined by the Government of Catalonia, subject to certain limits set for all Spain. Fees for non-resident students not EU nationals it will be 1.5 times the credit cost.

  • How can I have my previous studies recognised?

    The body responsible for the master's degree will process, on behalf of the rector, all applications for recognition.
    You must submit the application form (model form) to the unit responsible for the course, along with the following documentation:

    - Personal transcript (original or certified photocopy) listing the courses to be recognised (only for courses taken at institutions other than the UPC).
    - The curriculum for the completed course, including detailed information about the content of each subject, as published by the corresponding school (only for courses taken at institutions other than the UPC).
    - Proof of payment of the recognition fee.

  • What is an Erasmus Mundus master's degree?

    Erasmus Mundus is a European Union programme launched in 2003 to improve the quality of European higher education and cooperation with other regions with a view to attracting highly qualified students from third countries to courses offered jointly by European universities so as to strengthen the ties between these universities and similar institutions around the world.

    Erasmus Mundus programme

Master's degrees admission

  • Which is the procedure to access a master's degree?

    You will be able to find all the information about academic requeriments, pre-enrolment, enrolment, fees, grants and payment option.
  • Graduates, engineers and technical architects who want access to a qualifying master will not make additional training?

    All they have to do, depending on their prior training, if the master's degree committee decides.

  • I am a bachelor's degree student and have not yet defended my bachelor's thesis. Can I be admitted?

    You may be granted conditional admission if you meet the requirements. Your admission will be confirmed if you have been awarded the bachelor’s degree by 31 October or 28 of February if you are admitted in the Spring semester. You will be allowed to enrol later than the deadline set by the school or university research institute. 

Financial Aid

  • What financial aid is available for master's degree students?

    Training grants for research staff
    Training grants for university faculty
    Training grants for researchers
    Alban scholarships
    Student mobility grants within the framework of a master's degree programme
    Grants from the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID from the Spanish)

    More information about grants and scholarships can be found on the Academic Management Service's website    and the International and Corporate Relations Bureau  .

Integrated programs of undergraduate and master

  • Do students with a bachelor's degree in Industrial Technology Engineering from another university have direct acces and preferencial admission to the master's degree in Industrial Engineering?

    They have access without a bridging course, but NOT preferential admission. For example, 180 places are reserved for graduates from the ETSEIAT. Graduates from other institutions will be admitted if there are any places remaining. In these cases, the student's academic record will be analysed to determine which specific optional subjects they must take. These optional subjects always form part of the master's degree.

  • How can holders of pre-EHEA engineering diplomas and degrees access the qualifying master's degree?

    Degrees in industrial engineering, for example, receive a similar treatment to the bachelor's degrees that give access to the master's degree. Holders of engineering diplomas must obtain 30 ECTS credits for bridging courses.


  • Can I have credits recognised or do I have to take the total number of credits to be awarded in the master's degree?

    You have to take a minimum number of credits, which includes the master's thesis. This minimum number of credits is 70% of the total number on master's degrees worth 60 ECTS credits, 60% on master's degrees worth 90 ECTS credits and 50% on master's degrees worth 120 ECTS credits. This minimum does not take into account credits that are not part of the curriculum, such as credits recognised for prior learning or accredited professional experience and credits for other academic activities that students take while they are enrolled in the master's degree.